Welcome to the 3rd Annual Christmas Cookie Recipe Swap hosted by White Lights on Wednesday! This was so much fun to be a part of. We were paired up with a cookie baking partner and this year I was teamed up with fellow party girl Shannon from Painting Paris Pink. We exchanged recipes, and I was assigned these White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Cookies. In return, I assigned Shannon my Chocolate Crinkles with Peppermint Kisses, which you can find over on her blog today as well. (so good!)
These cookies are perfect for Christmas time, with red cranberries, green pistachios, and white chocolate chips. So festive, I had to tie them up with a red bow. Cute, right? These would be great to gift for teachers, your neighbors, or as I am doing….my husband’s office. I also made Oreo Truffles and White Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Sugar Cookies – they are going to love me today!
The recipe calls for pistachios. (can you buy those out of the shell??) I’m not going to lie. Shelling the pistachios was not my idea of a fun Saturday night. Thankfully you only need a half cup. I broke 2 nails opening them! But it really didn’t take that long. So don’t let that deter you. ;)
I loved how they turned out. I’m not a huge nut-lover, but these were quite good. I was pleasantly surprised that they came out chewy, so I guess I made them correctly! Pretty, right? This batch makes approximately 24 cookies. You might want to double it if you plan to give them as gifts. You’re going to eat half of them!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or dried cherries)
- Note: If using unsalted nuts, add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the flour
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy and pale in color, 3-5 minutes. This step is important for ensuring soft, chewy cookies. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Using a wooden spoon, carefully stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, just until combined. Stir in the white chocolate chips, dried cranberries and pistachio nuts.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls of the batter onto the greased cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes or until they just begin to turn golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Original recipe adapted from The Daring Gourmet.
White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Cookies